Even if you're not an aficionado of classical music, it's very likely you would recognize the first four notes of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5. You know - it's the one that goes "DUH DUH DUH DUUUH." The Utah Symphony opens its 75th season tonight with the iconic work under the direction of Maestro Thierry Fischer. We're using it as an opportunity to talk to music scholar Thomas Forrest Kelly about the night in 1808 when Beethoven's Fifth was first performed and about why it has endured for more than 200 years. (Rebroadcast)
The Utah Symphony kicks off it's 75th anniversary season with a two-week, four-concert Beethoven Festival.
- Friday, September 11. Symphonies 4 and 5
- Saturday, September 12, Symphonies 8 and 6 "Pastoral"
- Friday, September 18, Symphonies 1 and 3
- Saturday, September 19, Symphonies 2 and 7
- Each evening features a pre-concert lecture
- For tickets and information on these and other events, visit utahsymphony.org
Music from today's broadcast, Beethoven : Symphonies Nos 1 - 9,NikolausHarnoncourt & Chamber Orchestra of Europe