For 10 years, writers Gregory White Smith, Steven Naifeh and a team of researchers delved deeply into the life of Vincent van Gogh. They read the books he read in his day, dissected his numerous letters and scoured every text and record they could find on him. Their new biography of the fabled artist lays bare van Gogh's deeply troubled, fanatic and passionate soul, and it offers a revisionist history of his death. Gregory White Smith joins Doug on Thursday to talk about Van Gogh: The Life.
- Visit the companion Web site to Van Gogh: The Life.
- Click on the self portrait of van Gogh above to see images discussed in today's show.
Books and music from today's RadioWest:
- Van Gogh: The Life
- "The Following Morning" by The American Analog Set
- "Liebesträume: Nocturne No. 1" by Franz Liszt
- "Equilibrium" by Mustard Gas and Roses