Bob Boilen of NPR's All Songs Considered joins us on Thursday to run down his list for the best music of the past year, the records he comes back to over and over again, the songs he loves to sing along with. There are some canonical artists on his list – Leonard Cohen and Neil Young – and some critically-acclaimed indie acts – Cat Power, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors – but the band that came out on top debuted their first album this year. Tune in to hear that band and a lot of other great tunes.
Bob Boilen is the creator and host of NPR's weekly music show, All Songs Considered.
Here's the music Bob mentions in his interview with Doug, in no particular order.
- Grizzly Bear, "A Simple Answer," Shields
- Neil Young and Crazy Horse, "Walk Like a Giant," Psychedelic Pill
- Alt-J, "Tesselate," An Awesome Wave
- Dirty Projectors, "Offspring Are Blank," Swing Lo Magellan
- Sharon Van Etten, "Serpents," Tramp
- Patrick Watson, "Into Giants," Adventures In Your Own Backyard
- Jeff the Brotherhood, "Sixpack" and "Country Life," Hypnotic Nights
- Frank Ocean, "Lost," Channel Orange
- Jack White, "Freedom at 21," Blunderbuss
- Exit Music, "White Noise," Passage
- Cat Power, "Cherokee," Sun
- fun. "We Are Young," Some Nights
- Kishi Bashi, "Bright Lights," 151a
- Leonard Cohen, "Going Home," Old Ideas
- Alambama Shakes, " Hold On," Boys & Girls
- Japandroids, "The House That Heaven Built," Celebration Rock