March 8, 2013 | Culture
Through the Lens: The Crash Reel
Friday, we continue our Through the Lens documentary series with Academy Award nominee Lucy Walker's latest film. It's the story of champion snowboarder Kevin Pearce and his near-fatal halfpipe crash in 2009. Pearce's parents and brothers rushed to help with the recovery from his traumatic brain injury, but they were shocked at Kevin's determination to return to the sport. Walker's film follows the family as they struggle with this question: how much risk is too much? "The Crash Reel" premiered at this year's Sundance Film Festival and we spoke with Lucy Walker and Kevin Pearce. We're presenting free screenings next week.
On Wednesday, March 13 at 7:00 p.m. RadioWest and The Utah Film Center present a number of free screenings of The Crash Reel.
- Join Doug Fabrizio at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center in Salt Lake City. Director Lucy Walker will join us for a Skype Q & A immediately following the film.
- Alta – Our Lady of the Snows
- Eden (Upper Ogden Valley) – Pineview Lodge at Wolf Creek Resort
- Ogden – Peery’s Egyptian Theatre (with post-screening panel discussion)
- Park City – Jim Santy Auditorium at the Park City Library in association with the Park City Film Series (with post-screening panel discussion)
- Sundance Resort – Screening Room